Pages

Wednesday, 28 January 2015

How Can You Be an Atheist and a Pagan?

I don't believe in God.

But I believe in the Earth.

I believe in the solemn weight in my heart when I stand by a lake and listen to the quiet but omnipotent sounds of morning.

I believe in the inspiration that burns in my being when the fog settles around the edge of the cliff and I find myself in a sea of mist, kilometres above ground level.

I believe in the complete peace I feel when I float aimlessly with the sun in my face and the muffled sounds of my own heart beating make their way through the water.

I believe in the unspeakable joy I feel when I collapse, sun-worn and drunk on the mulchy smell of the ground beneath me, truly ready to give my body over to slumber.

I believe in the awe that everything that exists works the way it does - explicably! That we can understand it, and that in the understanding is the delightfully bizarre and outrageous.

I do not believe in God.

But I believe in the Earth, and the universe, and the wonderful absurdity of our existence.

And that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment