Pages

Sunday 30 March 2014

Review: Divergent


Divergent
Divergent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I quite enjoyed Divergent. The story was interesting and I never found it to drag or be bogged down in unnecessary description or exposition. Roth tells you what you need to know to move the story forward and build her characters.

It's always heartening to see a popular franchise with a girl lead, and I was impressed to see consent and agency in full force in Tris. I think she's an excellent blend of strength and vulnerability - something that the "strong female character" trope often fails.

I would happily recommend this to a preteen or teen girl, which is more than I can say for certain other popular YA franchises-turned-movies.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment