Pages

Monday 17 March 2014

Review: The Knitting Circle


The Knitting Circle
The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



It took me until 5AM, but I read this entire book in one sitting.

The Knitting Circle was sad but engaging. While some feel that the fact that every one of the women has some sort of tragic past is unrealistic, I think it speaks to the unknown stories of the women in our lives. We all have our secrets and our regrets.

I cried my way through the book, which I believe does an excellent job of addressing grief and loss and the way people express the feelings that come with that. Anger, helplessness, hopelessness.

At times, it almost reads like multiple short stories, as each woman talks about what happened to her. This doesn't completely work - it feels a tad cheesy at times - but it doesn't detract too much.

While not going to win any major literary awards, or going to go down as a classic, The Knitting Circle is still a good story that deserves reading.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment